According to the local newspaper, today is National Pancake Day. I couldn't let such a day pass without making my kids their FAVORITE dinner. However, I've been trying to incorporate fruits and veggies into the main dish (I'll post my brussel sprout mac and cheese recipe soon). So, I took one of my mom's best dishes and turned it into pancakes!!
ORIGINAL BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
2 extra large apples, cored and cubed
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
Peel, seed, and cube the squash.
Core and cube the apples.
Add the squash, apples, and raisins to oven safe casserole dish.
Cut butter in small pieces and spread on top.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 350 F until fork passes through squash easily.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PANCAKES
1 cup unbleached all-purpose white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup pureed butternut squash
2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped fine
1/3 cup raisins
Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients.
Mix dry and wet ingredients.
Add apples and raisins.
Drop by 1/4 to 1/3 cup onto hot griddle.
YUM
What did the kids think?
ReplyDelete