Monday, July 20, 2009

Mimi's cabbage

The boys call it "Mimi's cabbage" because every time I make it, I tell them stories about when my mom used to make it. Really though, it is just sautéed cabbage.

Mimi's Cabbage

1 medium head of cabbage cut into big pieces
4 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
(options: sometimes we saute some onions, garlic scapes, or garlic with the cabbage)

melt butter to almost brown in a big pan (we use cast iron)
add cabbage
season

cook until tender

tell stories about Mimi's cooking while you enjoy (if you need some, my mom (Mimi) is a phenomenal cook. I'll share some of mine. She taught me that recipes are really for cooking times and temperatures. Some of my best and earliest childhood memories are standing on my tip-toes looking over the counter at what she was doing. Pie crust. Bread. Pizza dough. Canning. Every type of pie you could imagine. All from scratch. Not much was made from a box in my mom's kitchen.)


No comments:

Post a Comment