Saturday, June 20, 2009

Smoked shoulder roast and beet salad

Tim fired up the smoker for the first time this summer and I made a spicy rub for a beef shoulder roast. After I applied the rub, I wrapped the roast in fresh basil from the garden and refrigerated it for a while. When the time came, Tim smoked it using authentic charcoal (instead of the compressed briquets from the grocery) and he used maple for the smoke.

It was tasty.

For the salad, I used loose salad greens and beets from our CSA and made a honey mustard vinaigrette for the dressing. I first roasted the beets at 450 for 45 minutes, let them cool, peeled them, and chopped them. Then we made the dressing, tossed the chopped loose leaf lettuce in the dressing, and topped with the beets and feta cheese. I think I actually liked the salad better than the smoked shoulder roast.

Don't tell Tim.


No comments:

Post a Comment