Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mama, I'm hungry!

We were walking up to the pharmacy to pick up Isaiah's medication when Isaac laced his fingers through mine and leaned his head on my shoulder. (Yes, he is that tall now!) "Mama, I'm hungry," he declared. I looked down at him.

"Are there any pancakes left?" I asked.

He sullenly answered, "No. We ate them all. And the bacon. And the applesauce."

Stunned, and remembering that we had made a double batch of pumpkin pancakes, I said, "Isaac, there were more than 50 pancakes!"

"I know," he said. "We were hungry."

"Isaac," I said. "You ate an hour ago."

He looked up at me, batted his gorgeous eyes, and smiled. "What if we have a smoothie when we get home?"

Now, that was an idea. So, I agreed. The following feeds one grown man who works the midnight shift and two rapidly growing boys.

Spinach Berry Smoothies
2 cups berries (blueberries and strawberries are favorites around here)
1 cup spinach
2 1/2 cups milk (we alternate between rice, soy, and dairy milk)
2 heaping tablespoons milled flax seed
2 heaping tablespoons wheat germ
a generous squirt of blue agave nectar
a pinch of cinnamon

Blend until smooth.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment