Monday, June 7, 2010

For Melissa: Beet saute

Four beets and beet greens, cleaned
Olive oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 to 1 cup dry white wine (or Marsala--both are good)
1 TBSP light corn syrup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Clean and roast the beets (don't peel first; they are easier to peel after they are roasted)
(Coat the beets in a LIGHT layer of olive oil; roast at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes; until a fork goes through easily); peel the beets; cool the beets

Heat a high sided skillet (we use our BIG cast iron pan)
Melt the butter on high heat
Add the garlic and onions; sweat them for about three minutes
Add the wine, balsamic vinegar, and corn syrup
Cook until the onions and garlic are soft
Layer the beet greens over the pan (pile them HIGH; they will wilt and cook down)
Steam for a few minutes--until the greens are about 1/2 the size; turning with tongs so that the onions and garlic are mixed through

Serve with sliced, roasted beets and crumbled feta cheese on top.

YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I should have commented ages ago....I tried the recipe. I think it have been decided that beets are not a favorite in this house. LOL! Apparently, I am the only one that likes them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete