Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

With our crazy schedule, I've been getting home later and later each evening after running Isaiah to his sports practices--which leaves Tim to create the meals if I don't have something prepared in the fridge or freezer. The night we had chicken noodle soup, he wasn't sure where to start. So, I sent him the following email. Since I eat vegan, I didn't taste the soup, but the kids raved about how good it was. So, I think he did a good job.

-->

In the gray stock pot, over low heat, bring three to four quarts of chicken broth up to a simmer.

In large sauce pan, boil egg noodles (from the pantry) per package instructions. (subtract two minutes so that they can simmer in the broth)

In large cast iron skillet, saute one large onion, the rest of the celery from the counter (cut into 1/2 inch pieces), one bulb (the whole thing) of garlic, and six carrots cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Chop all of the vegetables (use the Cuisinart, but only PULSE so they stay kind of big) and then saute in this order: Add three tbsp butter and two tbsp olive oil to skillet. Add chopped garlic; saute for two to three minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add chopped onions; saute until soft and translucent (five to six minutes). Add carrots and celery; saute until soft (could take up to 10 to 12 minutes). Turn off heat to skillet before veggies are done (they will continue to cook).

Season six to eight chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence. Grill chicken breasts until cooked through. Let chicken rest for a couple of minutes. Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Add chicken, veggies, and cooked noodles to the simmering chicken broth.

Stir to combine.

(Note: Every couple of weeks we roast a couple of chickens and then cook down the bones with some veggies and make our own stock. Then we use that stock throughout the weeks in recipes until it is gone. Once it is gone, we repeat the process.)

No comments:

Post a Comment